Maui On My Mind: A Local's Perspective.

  To be born and raised on the beautiful island of Maui is a blessing and I often wonder why I ever moved away.  However there are so many beautiful places to see, more than one can achieve in most lifetimes. 

  Maui will always hold a special place in my heart and I will return to this beautiful place I once called home as often as possible, and when I do this is what I like to see and do, from a local girls perspective.

Typically when I land the first thing I want to do is have lunch!  One of my favorite restaurants on the entire island is Mama's Fish House.  www.mamasfishhouse.com  This is near the airport so usually I pick up my rent a car and go straight there.  Reservations are highly recommended either on Open Table or by calling them directly at (808) 579-9764.
If you have a driver you can enjoy one of their famous Mai Tai's, they are strong!  
Everything on the menu is so delicious!  I prefer to join them for lunch rather than dinner as the views are better in the daytime in my opinion. 

Now off to the hotel.  If you have the energy I usually stop at Costco which is near the airport to get things I need like water, snacks and maybe a bottle or two of my favorite wine.  (This could save you a few bucks especially if you are staying at a five star hotel.)


My favorite side of the island is Wailea.  Now even though I am a local girl, I do like to splurge once in awhile at the Four Seasons.  www.fourseasons.com/maui  If you are looking for something less expensive try Hotel Wailea  www.hotelwailea.com or even check out various condos for rent on this website:  www.vrbo.com


Now that we are in the Wailea area here are my favorite restaurants to eat at:


∞ Kihei Caffe for breakfast or lunch!  Bring cash!  They do NOT accept credit cards.  They have huge portions.  www.kiheicaffe.com 


∞ Pita Paradise.  They have two locations!  One in Kihei (casual) and a new one in Wailea.  www.pitaparadisehawaii.com


∞ Tommy Bahama's at The Shops at Wailea.  Their Tahitian Tuna Salad is so ONO!
www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Wailea.jsp


∞ My two favorite "hotel" restaurants in Wailea are located at the Four Seasons.  They are Ferraro's Bar e Restaurant and Spago's.  Both are spectacular places to dine.  I would save these two restaurants for the end of your trip.  Maybe watch the sunset from Ferraro's with a wonderful glass of Rose and dine at Spago's?  Try the sushi cones at Spago, they are to die for!!  www.fourseasons.com/maui/dining/
  Ferraro's at the Four Seasons


 If all the above mentioned restaurants are just too pricey for your taste or you'd rather save your money to send your kids to college then check out the local grocery stores as well as The Whalers General Store at The Shops at Wailea and you'll find some good food for cheap there.


Here is a great resource for searching for restaurants on Maui.  http://menu-magazine.com/


Now I wouldn't be local if i didn't mention the real local spots to grind at.  Here is my list of my top favorites!  (These places are mostly located in Wailuku/Kahului near the airport)


∞  Guri Guri at Maui Mall.  This is a must for every local that returns to the island of Maui and tourist alike!   It is a sorbet/ice cream that you cannot get anywhere else.  Check it out!
Since they don't have their own website.... www.yelp.com/biz/tasaka-guri-guri-shop-kahului


∞ Sam Sato's.  A variety of plate lunches and noodle dishes that locals just love!
They also don't have a website.... www.yelp.com/biz/sam-satos-wailuku


∞ Da Kitchen.  This place is authentic hawaii style food.  So good and close to the airport.  You gotta try this place!!  www.da-kitchen.com


  Here are a few of my favorite things to do on Maui and the first one is FREE!  If you are staying in the Wailea area then you don't need a car for this one but if you are in Kihei it is worth the drive.  The walkway right in front of the Grand Wailea and The Four Seasons is the perfect morning run or sunset walk.  The walkway is approximately 1.5 miles (one way) and is the epitome of Hawaiian beauty.  Here are a few photos of the walkway.  


If you are the athletic type I encourage you to try stand up paddling.  It is so worth it and such a great workout and if you are lucky you may see a Hawaiian sea turtle, dolphins or even whales!  Here is a pic of a turtle I saw stand up paddling right in front of Wailea Beach!  My #1 tip for beach goer's is go in the morning, as soon as you get up because right around lunch time the winds can pick up and the whole experience changes.  Save your afternoons for the pool.
There are so many things to do on Maui and here is my top five list:

Check out a Luau!  Yes, it can be pricey and touristy but where else in the world would you go to a luau.  Come on, its fun!

Drive to Hana ONLY if you don't mind driving for hours on a winding road.  (This also applies to watching the sunrise at Haleakala National Park, although you can take a shuttle to both)  I've done this and enjoyed the trip but it can be long and tiring so please do you research.  It is a very beautiful place.  This is an ALL DAY event.  Include time for hiking, sight seeing and snacking.

Take a boat to Molokini.  I have done this year after year.  Such a fun morning!  I like the Pride of Maui the best.  www.prideofmaui.com  They even have a slide on board!

Go shopping in Paia.  Great restaurants like Paia Fish Market and fun artsy shops full of bikinis, jewelry, art and exotic smelling lotions.

Check out the Maui Swap Meet!  www.yelp.com/biz/maui-swap-meet-kahului  No kidding folks.  When I travel whether its to Rome, Hong Kong, Paris or Paia I also check out their local swap meets.  Maui's Swap Meet is every Saturday at 7 am to 1 pm.  You can find great affordable gifts for all your friends and family as well as loads of fresh fruits, veggies and local kine snacks!


There is one last thing I really like to do on Maui that I think is really special.  You have to get some awesome professional sunset photos.  Now I understand this can be pricey BUT when you get a professional photographer take some shots of you and your family on the beach just before sunset, you will remember that image forever.  Here are two of my favorite photographers on the island.  Call them and check there prices.  Tell them Linda sent you and you just may get a deal...

Tad Craig Photography.  http://tadcraigphotography.com/  


Graham Chappell  laano.com  I shot with Graham's associate Andrew Binkley and got this pic:

And Tad did this photo:


So many beautiful memories are to be made on Maui.  The best one of all is being with the one you love, sipping on a drink IN the pool and watching a sunset.  Cheers and Aloha!




Comments

  1. Oh I can't believe you were born on Maui! You lucky duck you!
    Beautiful Hawaii. :)
    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you :) it sounds amazing!
    I enjoyed reading this post x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LINDA!! what is the best time of year to go to Hawaii?? and by best, i mean, avoiding lots of tourist, but still enjoying the weather??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Unknown!

    Thank you for your comment! Maui has beautiful weather all year long but if you are looking for a less crowded experience I suggest you visit either after the winter break around February (you still get to see whales migrating then) or right after summer around September. The thing is, I LOVE Maui when it's busy. The energy is bustling, the tourist are friendly and sometimes exciting! (I met a gorgeous Victoria's Secret model once visiting and she and her husband were just lovely!!) No matter when you go to Maui you will succumb to the beauty of the island and experience what is known as the "aloha spirit!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts